Following the successful creation of the Certified Fire Inspector I (CFI-I) certification program in 1998, further requests by local entities, state agencies, and national organizations prompted the NFPA to develop the Certified Fire Inspector II (CFI-II) certification program.
Like the CFI-I, the CFI-II is based on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
NOTE: Entry into the CFI-II certification program requires that you first attain the CFI-I certification.
The goals of this program are to:
- recognize and provide evidence of competence as related to NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner
- enhance professionalism
- ensure proficiency in the use of codes and standards
- promote professional development
- ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
Jennifer McWhorter talks about the CFI-II certification.
- Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert
- Gain confidence in your abilities
- Improve your job performance
- Position yourself for career advancement
- Certification holders also receive a CFI-II certificate and lapel pin that further highlights their accomplishment
- For more information, view the candidate handbook (PDF)
- 3-year recertification form (PDF)
Attention CFI-II certification holders - Please be aware that the requirements for recertification will be changing on 1/1/2021. Currently, under professional practice, individuals may apply 1/2 point per inspection. Because of the variation in the time and effort required for different types of inspections, the new points allotment for professional practice will be 1/2 point per hour dedicated to inspection activities. This change is being undertaken to make recertification more consistent between certified individuals.
- Certification Advisory Group
The CFI-II exam is offered in a computer-based format. The exam uses digitized plans, in a pop-up window, with scrolling and magnification capabilities. The computer-based exam is available at testing centers around the world. To locate a computer-based testing center near you, visit the test center Web site. Please refer to the candidate handbook (PDF) for details.
A CFI-II written exam is available following NFPA’s three-day instructor led Fire Inspector II seminar. Visit the online catalog or call +1 800 344-3555 to register for the three-day training and exam. The available exam dates are:
- October 8, Quincy, MA
- December 19, Orlando, FL
The latest version of the CFI-II exam is based on NFPA 1031, 2014 edition, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain materials needed for study purposes and to have present during the examination. The following list contains the resources to be used in preparing for and taking the examination. All items in the examination are compatible with both code sets. Please verify with your jurisdiction or certification partnership agency for the proper set.
2018 NFPA Code Set
2015 NFPA Code Set
NFPA Certification Department
1 Batterymarch Park
Quincy, MA 02169
Tel: +1 617 984-7432