Report: NFPA's "Catastrophic Multiple-Death Fires in 2019"
Author: Stephen G. Badger
Issued: September 2020
- Nineteen catastrophic multiple-death fires in 2019 resulted in 116 deaths.
- The deadliest fire in 2019 was a dive-boat fire in California that killed 34 people.
- The deadliest structure fires in 2019 each killing six occurred; in a single-family house in Wisconsin and two apartment buildings, one in New York and one in Nevada for a total of 18 deaths with 4 being under the age of six.
- Seven of the fires were in homes, resulting in 38 deaths, with 11 of the victims under age six.
- Nine of the fires were in non-home structures, resulting in 32 deaths. with four of the victims under age six
- There were three non-structure fires, all vehicles resulting in 46 deaths.
Please contact us with any questions.